Tuesday 7 January 2014

Flo's Quick Review: Yalla Yalla

This Lebanese cafe has been on my 'to go' list for a while since I love Middle Eastern cuisine, mezze style dining, and eating out at a guilt free price! I first went upon the suggestion of a friend but work overran and I only arrived in time to have a little snackette. This time I more than made up for my deprived first encounter...



A quick note to begin however, there are two Yalla Yalla restaurants (and one Shoreditch pop-up). I realised this rather late in the day... when absolutely starving in Oxford Street I remembered it being very close by, suggested it and then walked for around ten minutes before realising that we must be going somewhere else. When I saw that Google maps was taking us to their other joint I thought we could give it a go but the Green's Court one is tiny and the waitress a little abrasive (she was visibly angry that we had been queueing without having let her know we were waiting for a table!). We swiftly returned to the Winsley Street one which is much bigger and therefore has a faster moving queue - no bookings I am afraid. This review was impromptu so sorry about the lack of HD photos.


smaller Green's Court Restaurant
The cocktails are apparently good but I decided to forgo in order to order as much as I could possibly eat! To begin with we had the hommos shawarma (their spelling) which comes with a surprisingly generous portion of marinated lamb on top of it, the baba ganoush (delicious and creamy but a little less smoky than I like).






Next came the Arayes - spicy minced lamb in crispy grilled pitta bread with pomegranate scattered on top were possibly my favourite - they look somewhat disappointing in stature since the mince is packed into a thin layer between the flat breads but they really pack a punch in terms of flavour. I also had the sawda dej (liver which are glazed in a sweet and sharp pomegranate sauce) which were delicious if you too are into offal. It is also wonderful to have them done in a such a different way rather than the usual Frenchified buttery type dishes. 




Last I had some kofte of the main dishes that I wouldn't really recommend since it's not the best kofte I've had in London (see my Best Mangal review) and the sharing plates are much more fun. A fabulous place for a quick and causal date or to meet with a few friends, I will certainly be returning soon. 

Yalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blog Yalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blogYalla Yalla review, labanese in london, lebanese in soho, cheap eats in london, London food blog