Tuesday 4 June 2013

Middle and Over Wallop, £30 for under 30s


Yes! Another reason to be happy to be young... and a 'young person' discount we can still qualify for long after our young person's railcard runs out. 


A couple of weeks ago my friend and I went to see Falstaff at Glyndebourne, taking advantage of the great under 30s offers. We had  first circle seats  for £30 each, and a 3 course meal courtesy of the Middle and Over Wallop Restaurant for the bargain price of £30 too. For any regulars I'm sure these tickets are old news but if you have never tried the restaurant, it is well worth your while, especially if it is cold and wet outside, as it was for us.

I am not sure what it usually costs but the under 30s meal is incredible value. We had starters of artichoke heart with smoked salmon tartare and a poached egg (my favourite) and a rabbit terrine followed by a hefty chunk of pancetta-wrapped beef fillet that was succulent and tender having probably been through a lengthy sous vide process. For pudding we shared a gateau opera and a rather generous cheese plate which I was slightly less taken with (I prefer smaller portions but more cheeses!).  All in all it was a very good show, and Prue Leith, whose company is behind the restaurant did me proud.













The opera was pretty good too!If you haven't got tickets already I'm pretty sure it is too late to book reasonably priced ones in advance but you can sign up to the returns emails here, and the under 30s by creating an account and ticking the under 30s box here.You can book your meal on under 30s days. 

P.S. Normal Loo Sign Girls are clearly too risqué   for Glyndebourne, who seem to have had their own bespoke, ball gown wearing signs put in!